Have you ever met someone and immediately felt a strong and familiar connection?
Do you have someone in your life who you feel magnetically pulled to despite your circumstances?
From day one you find yourself thinking about them, intrigued by them, wondering how they are doing, and finding that every moment that you are together is exhilarating.
This is an intense relationship that many people don’t have the chance to experience. These feelings, along with other signs, are all a part of a twin flame relationship.
According to Alex Myles in Elephant Journal, twin flames are noticeable to each other as soon as they meet:
“Twin flames have an instant, instinctive and undeniably intense bond. As soon as they meet, they feel an overwhelming and familiar “home” sensation, as though they have known one another before.”
The early stages of the twin flame relationship is likely to be filled with turmoil, challenges, and pain as the two work to merge and balance their energies.
The Twin Flame connection has the potential to be the most loving and transformational experience.
However, often, in the beginning, both partners become plagued by confusion because the connection brings up past trauma and pain. This extremely powerful, magnetic connection may cause twin flames to separate for a short time to address what is holding them back in order to heal. Both partners know the separation is an illusion and their connection and shared soul will keep them energetically bound regardless of if they're physically together or not.
Luckily, once equilibrium is reached, twin flames will experience the most loving, transformational partnership imaginable, with a deep connection emotionally, mentally, physically, and spiritually.
Toxic and Codependent Relationships
Before reading further, please make sure you aren’t in an unhealthy relationship.
Codependent and toxic relationships are defined by obsessiveness, unhealthy attachments, inequality, feeling stuck, or being totally dependent on your partner for your security and self-worth.
Twin Flame relationships, while often initially tumultuous, are always about equal give and take mutual respect, and growing together.
Unfortunately, many people confuse the two types of relationships, which can make a toxic situation even worse.
21 Signs You've Met Your Twin Flame
Here are what I believe are 21 signs of a twin flame relationship. Keep in mind, everyone's journey and experiences are unique so take what I say as guidance, not gospel.
- You feel a strange sense of familiarity when you meet your person. This may come through as déjà vu, or an undeniable feeling that you’ve known this person before, or are somehow “meant to be.” - Ben had been on my radar for 5 years but he still felt extremely familiar the night we met. He said the same of me.
- You are able to be authentic – flaws, faults, and all – without fearing rejection or judgement. - We both look totally normal on the outside but are REALLY WEIRD in our philosophies, beliefs, humor, and behaviors. We don't hold back around each other which made us immediate best friends.
- They teach you important life lessons such as honesty, empathy, forgiveness, gratitude, and open-mindedness. - With every disagreement is comes a lesson. The twin flame journey isn't an easy one but since we know we want to be together, we suck it up, learn lessons, and stay committed to one-another.
- You make an immediate, intense connection that is exciting and shocking at the same time. - Totally true. We immediately became each other's best friends.
- You are tuned into to each other's energy, meaning you are both very conscious of the present energy within the connection. Therefore, you're both highly empathic with one another. - Thi100% defines our every day, even when we are apart.
- You both exemplify the yin and yang, which means your dark side is balanced by their light side, and vice versa. - This is definitely true. While we are 97% similar, our big strengths and flaws are opposite. I am impatient, he is patient. I have a ton of intense energy, and Ben is way more laid back. Etc.
- You feel a sense of expansion with them, like you're larger than your own identity. - Ben and I have opened up new worlds to and ideas with one-another.
- They inspire you to be a better person, and you inspire them to be a better person too. - Ben and I are constantly showing and teaching each other how to be better in various ways.
- You know that they will play a very important role in your personal development, without knowing when, why, or how. - We are both aware of how we have grown as individuals since meeting. We inspire each other to change for the better.
- Being with them feels like "home" or a very safe place. - This is one of the first things I noticed when meeting Ben. The immediate comfort and feeling of peace and security when we were together was something neither of us had experienced before.
- You feel like you have been waiting for this specific person your entire life. This one is the sign that caught me the most off-guard. - Ben is literally the exact type of person I've always wanted in my life. He also has the physical appearance I'd always been most attracted to.
- You both connect deeply energetically and mirror each other’s values and life's goals beyond superficial similarities. - This is our biggest win. What he wants, I want and what I want, he wants. We live the same lifestyle, parent our kids similarly, and enjoy all the same activites and hobbies.
- Together, you both feel driven toward higher goals and purpose: spiritual, social, or ecological. - We are both driven to grow spiritually. As mentioned before, we have the same beliefs (though we title them differently) so it makes it easy to talk about and set goals.
- You have the innate ability to read each other's minds and finish each other's sentences. - I don't know how many times Ben or I have shared an idea or thought that the other person was currently thinking about. We have even dreamed about the same thing.
- One of you has an older soul than the other and often acts as the teacher or counselor in the relationship.- Ben and I take turns in these roles. He lives more by example while I have non-stop ideas on how to better situations.
- You've never experienced more growth than you have since meeting them. No other person has transformed you as deeply as your twin has. - I've already shed light on this aspect. No one has motivated me to change more than Ben has. He does it with love, not through fear or duty which has been very impactful for me.
- Your relationship is multi-faceted. Your twin flame is likely your best friend, love, nurturer, muse, and teacher. - Yes on all accounts. We are each other's everything.
- You can be honest with each other about anything and everything. - I feel we are both very open and transparent with each other. We both struggle with different things but we have each other's backs 100%.
- You and your twin have a significant age difference. It is common for twin flames to have a huge age gap. - You wouldn't know it from his looks but Ben is 11 years older than I.
- You and your twin may look alike and have similar mannerisms. - I don't know how many times when Ben and I first started dating that were told we look alike. Luckily, It hasn't happened since I've gone from brunette to blonde. However, I saw my reflection while walking the other day and was shocked by how much I walk like him.
- Your twin flame is a mirror of what you both fear and desire the most for your own inner healing. For example, if you are a high-stress perfectionist, your twin flame will most likely be relaxed and laid back. Because of this dynamic, your twin flame may challenge and infuriate you but also teach you important lessons about your fears, wounds, and what's holding you back. - All true. We are both everything the other person desires but have qualities that stir our insecurities. What matters is that we recognize this and communicate as best we can.